Live: Kate Jackson

Kate Jackson - Ella Coperthwaite

Catastrophic electronic tones swept over plug as local legend Steve Edward’s newest project, Mercury Rising, opened their support set at Plug. The four-piece consisting of a stack of synths, a drummer and two vocalists played Apocalyptic synth pop as much influenced by biblical verse as they were by early 90s house and cosmology.

Their ear shattering set would have had more impact if Plug had been anywhere near capacity, but even so, the 40 strong crowd were still enamoured by the striking performance.

‘This is our last song,’ Edwards tells us before the powers that be shout from the side, ‘no it isn’t, we’re running 20 minutes over already.’ The epitome of anticlimax.

After a lightning fast changeover Kate Jackson’s band find themselves in the four corners of Plugs small stage. A lone microphone waits in the centre as they explode into Jackson’s most well know track to date, ‘Date with Dawn’.

The ex-Long Blonde swaggers on to the stage to be greeted by unfortunate technical problems. Her gut-wrenching bellows are only just audible near the stage until her mic is finally turned on.

Unfazed, she continues, confidently blasting out every note with the ferocity of the last. And it’s not just Jackson’s vocal prowess that impresses. Backed by an amazing ‘group’, not ‘band’ as Plug mistakenly put on the set times, the set was filled with incredible guitar solos and stomping rhythms, not dissimilar to her old band.

Disappointingly, there is no encore and the crowd filter out to the second anticlimax of the evening. We could have listened all night.