Live: Murderdolls + Black Veil Brides

Sat 5th February, 2011 – Corporation

Young Murderdolls devotees from miles around flocked to this show, the first date to sell out of the band’s ‘God Save the Scream’ UK tour.

Knowing the great esteem that Corporation holds as an alternative venue (sometimes it is unclear as to why this is, especially when you’re clad in your school uniform, stuck to the floor on a Wednesday night) this enthusiasm is unsurprising.

Solid support came from The Defiled and Black Veil Brides, the second of whom came onto the stage dressed up to the nines in astounding black and white glam-goth glory.

“There are some of you who probably think we’re just a bunch of fags,” drawled lead singer Andy Six. However, he need not have worried, as their set went down brilliantly with the eyeliner-savvy teenage crowd, many of whom were well-established fans.

When ‘Wednesday 13’ and the rest of the Murderdolls did eventually surface, they tore the place apart (and simultaneously destroyed the hearing of most in the room.) Newer songs were as well received as old classics, with the laughably violent ‘Die My Bride’ being a particular highlight – who couldn’t enjoy a song that includes the lyrics “I’d rather cut you than the wedding cake”?

Shock rock is not meant to be taken remotely seriously. The American right wing media appeared to have missed this memo, when they bewilderingly blamed Marilyn Manson for the Columbine massacre.

New track ‘Summertime Suicide’ has a softer, guitar-driven edge that is reminiscent of a more ‘90s sound, that is punk that it is almost impossible not to jump to, with a sing-along chorus. Definitely something of a déjà-vu moment for those who grew up listening to Yellowcard.

After a particularly riotous version of ‘Motherfucker I Don’t Care’ the band swanned offstage, only returning for an encore once the audience were well and truly screamed out. All in all, it was an evening of deranged fun for Yorkshire’s young Murderdolls fans, and a nostalgic experience for the rest of us.