Live: Reverend and the Makers

Photo: Anna Helmond/Flickr

Cries of ‘Yorkshire, Yorkshire’ bombard the Leadmill stage as one of Sheffield’s finest take to the stage for the first time in their home city since 2009.

Kicking off the night is Strange And Partners, a local unsigned band who are reminiscent of a poor-mans The Jam but are relative crowd-pleasers. The Book Club are next, headed by ex-Milburn bassist Joe Carnall who appears just twenty minutes later on bass for The Makers. Definitely a band to watch out for, The Book Club exhibit a certain lyrical prowess not too dissimilar from frontman of Reverend and the Makers, McClure himself, with catchy riffs and an incredibly passionate tattoo-clad drummer looking a tad out of place. Set highlight ‘What Was Said On The Landing’ is as powerful and emotive a track as the work of any high-class indie band of today.

A ripple of excitement resonates as The Reverend takes to the stage, humorously clutching his back- a reference to the gig being pushed back two weeks due to his hospitalisation after over-celebrating Sheffield Wednesday’s promotion.

Old favourite ‘Open Your Window’ kicks off the show and sets the tone for a night rippling with energy. What follows is a barrage of non-stop tunes, ‘Heavyweight Champion Of The World’ arrives mid-set complete with an epic sing-a-long to The Rev’s anti-mantra, “be like everybody else”, new single ‘The Wrestler’ receives a fine reception and is lauded by McClure as a “fuckin’ banger” and set closer ‘Silence Is Talking’ is, as ever, a rip-roaring success.

The only slight disappointment is the early arrival of ‘Bassline’, a song which could propel The Makers to stardom and would have made for a heroic set-closer. The fun doesn’t end there as The Rev exits the stage to rapturous applause and a crowd build up in Leadmill Road for a fantastic and unorthodox encore led by Carnall.

The Makers will be returning for a headline show at the O2 Academy in six months but for now the crowd can seek solace in the knowledge that they have experienced a night which may well be recorded in the history books of Sheffield’s wildly underrated indie underworld.