Live: Bring Me The Horizon

“SOLD OUT” hangs from the top of the O2 academy in Sheffield tonight as Bring Me The Horizon play their eagerly awaited first homecoming gig in over three years.

As soon as you enter tonight’s venue you see what looks like a giant Drop Dead merchandise exhibition gone mad, but this united everyone together as the “YORKSHIRE! YORKSHIRE!” chants echoed across the room, at least until people realised is sounds very similar to something bands might not take lightly to anyway.

First up were metalcore newcomers While She Sleeps hailing from Sheffield, who turned out to be a pleasant surprise to the thousand strong jumping off their feet and going crazy. After playing 6 or so songs the audience were left restless wanting more action, realising that this band are definitely one to watch out for.

Next on to the stage were USA metalcore rockers The Devil Wears Prada with a set which did nothing less than tear the venue down to the ground with more circle pits and crowd surfers than security could handle. Hits including ‘Danger: Wildman’ and tracks from the Zombie EP, released last summer, were popular among the youthful crowd as the band have built up enough following that seemingly everyone knew the best parts to mosh and sing to without even being asked. Most who had seen them before would agree that calling them the perfect warm up act would be an understatement.

With the absence of the main support band Parkway Drive, who were unable to make this extra tour date, we were graced with a longer set from one of the biggest UK breakthrough acts of the last year, Architects. After just releasing their fourth full-length studio album ‘The Here and Now’ the band received a warm welcome to the stage as the crowd belts out the opening line to ‘Day In Day Out’. The band played a handful of tracks from their back catalogue with old favourites ‘Follow The Water’ and ‘Early Grave’ conjuring the crowd to take hardcore to the next level. Overall Architects were perfect in joining all the different styles of music that this gig provided.

With the stage curtain closed, the crowd roared as the mere shadow of local icon Oli Sykes walks behind it, then after the intro from the chart topping album ‘There Is A Hell, Believe Me I’ve Seen It. There Is A Heaven, Let’s Keep It A Secret’ ends not one person doesn’t leap off their feet as they launch in to ‘It Never Ends’, instantly stunning the band themselves.

Sam Carter of Architects then joins the band for their 2009 hit ‘The Sadness Will Never End’ providing cleaner vocals for the crowd to sing along to and catch a breath of air.
If you have been listening to ‘Radio One’ recently chances are you’ve heard the latest single from the band ‘Blessed With A Curse’ being requested, hopefully a taste of more airplay to come. Frontman Oli stares up to the balcony where the bands families are present and later thanks them all for coming out and supporting them over the years, which was a delight to see.

To end the night, the inevitable happened during the pre-encore single ‘Anthem’ where the band waited for over a minute until the crowd had split 40ft apart before kicking in to the track. The second Oli screamed the words ‘GO!’ it invoked a euphoric wall of death which, to say the least, left everybody speechless.

Finally, for a band that started off in 2004 as a Deathcore band, hardly known for being a subtle genre, they had an insignificant following and a lot of controversy following them from the off, but three albums and countless live shows across the globe later the band exit the stage with big smiles on their faces and the middle finger from Oli stating to the world that Sheffield’s finest have finally made it and are here to stay.