Now Playing: 29/06/12

Lykke Li

With the abundance of new releases each week it can difficult to sift through the shit in search of the gold, so Fuse has handpicked some of the musical highlights for you.

So the Summer so far has been more rain than shine and what better to help pick up those moods than the new track from New York experimental pop outfit Yeasayer. The psychedelic mixture of interesting electronic sounds and unusual beats make ‘Longevity’ an excellent single choice from their new album. The forthcoming record, Fragrant World is out August 21 and we at Fuse can’t wait to hear it.

James Iha of Smashing Pumpkins fame has confirmed details of his new solo album and from what we’ve heard so far, it is very impressive indeed. The release, titled Look To The Sky is not out until September 18 but you can hear one track from the album ‘To Who Knows Where’ on Soundcloud now. Everything from the spine tingling guitar chords at the start, to the dreamy sound throughout make this track mesmerising. Iha’s voice sounds great too and has a lovely quality to it that is quite captivating. If you are a fan of the Pumpkins then we’ll be surprised if you don’t love this.

New band Splashh have also captured our attention this week with their grungy and fuzzy surf pop sound. Recently chosen as one of The Guardian’s ‘new band of the day’, Splashh certainly have a distinctive sound. This band would make perfect listening on a hazy summers day. Single ‘Need It’ isn’t out until July 30 but these London boys are going to be one of the many soundtracks to our Summer this year and we expect great things from them. You can listen to four of their tracks, including ‘Need It’ on Soundcloud. Think Yuck, mixed with a bit of The History of Apple Pie and you’ve got Splashh sussed.

Yeasayer

We can’t get enough of folk-pop trio All We Are and they’ve just made us love them even more by giving us the opportunity to download their new track for free. ‘Cardhouse’ is a wonderful track that shows off the band’s unique sound in the best way possible. The dramatic beats and anthemic chanting make ‘Cardhouse’ sound quite tribal and unlike anything you’ll have heard for a while. This catchy song is from the We Hunt EP which was released towards the end of last week.

And finally, you may have noticed a lot of Fleetwood Mac covers popping up on the internet recently including a version of ‘Rhiannon’ by Best Coast surfacing just a few weeks back. The covers are courtesy of a Fleetwood Mac inspired album and the latest contemporary cover is from Swedish songstress Lykke Li. Her rendition of ‘Silver Springs’ is enchanting and her haunting vocals compliment the song perfectly; perhaps one of the best Fleetwood Mac covers to date.