Review: Fast Years – Women EP

Fast Years – Women EP

Women is Fast Years’ debut EP and along with the release of their single Young Heart earlier this year, they have had mixed reviews among critics. The surf-laced indie rock quartet are up against the likes of Best Coast, Beach House and Howler, so they have tough competition to break into a genre with already well-established, talented bands. The problem Fast Years have is that they also have strong roots in normal indie rock which makes them sound slightly disjointed. The band effervesce a happy, summer-like atmosphere alongside a dark, almost violent feel. This results in a clash of tone because these two sounds don’t compliment each other, making Fast Years stick out against their surf indie contemporaries.

The thing that is impressive about Fast Years sound is that the music itself is interesting, well thought out and well written. It is just a shame that the clash of tone that varies from song to song makes this Fast Years record, as a whole, sound broken up. If you take each song individually though, they are good. For example, ‘Stolen Love’ has a stompy, indie feel to it by the use of solid drums and sturdy guitar riffs. However, ‘Like It Or Not’ has a much more light hearted feel, using a bass line reminiscent of Joy Division alongside upbeat, jolly guitar riffs. Independently, these songs are good but stuck together on a record they sound strange alongside each other, compromising the record’s flow.

In conclusion, Fast Years’ Women EP does exhibit the band’s talent. The songs they write are interesting and well put together: it’s just an inconsistency over the style throughout the record that causes the sound to feel disconnected. If they honed their style in on either surf indie or normal indie, their record wouldn’t have this problem. Fast Years are definitely worth a listen, but perhaps put them on shuffle in a randomised playlist.

6/10