Review: Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly – Maps

Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly’s new album, Maps, shows the growth and progress Sam Duckworth has made throughout his career in music, especially when you compare it to his debut album Chronicles of a Bohemian Teenager.

It starkly contrasts to the acoustic style he used to wield because he has developed the guts to experiment with other genres and styles, and this bold, gutsy attitude Duckworth has grown to have is reflected in Maps. He also discusses issues of politics and ethics in his lyrics which fit in well alongside his bold musical demeanour.

He opens the album with ‘The Real McCoy’, which illustrates the resentment towards the corrupt, bully-boy type character which is illustrated in lyrics like “He’ll take your money / leave you crying home to mummy”. Using crashy percussion to make a strong, bouncy beat and an overdrive guitar, he creates a mob-like atmosphere which gives the opening to Maps a bouncy yet slightly angry feel.

The next song however is a stark contrast. ‘Vital Statistics’ features a more laid-back, funky soul riff with discrete drums and a solid bass line. This calms the atmosphere from the previous song and changes the tone of the whole album because it’s so early on. This is a skill that Duckworth manages to continue throughout Maps, to flip the tone of the album completely without it feeling particularly strange or disjointed. What it does do, however, is compromise some of the album’s flow.

To close the album, ‘Home’ gives a familiar feel that rounds the album off nicely. Duckworth uses subtle synth, what sounds like panpipes and a chilled out guitar riff that creates a comfortable atmosphere.
Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly’s Maps is brilliant. It shows the progression, development and maturing of a musician who has always been promising. It’s definitely worth a listen.