Live: The Subways @ Foundry

The Subways - MangakaMaiden Photography/Flickr

Roaring into Sheffied on the back of their third album, The Subways reminded everyone who was in attendance just how good a band they are. Through the simple combination of distorted guitars and charisma they embody the pure uninhibited essence of rock and roll.

But things could have been so different. Three years ago, frontman Billy Lunn and bassist Charlotte Cooper ended their relationship and the future of the band was put in jeopardy. Nevertheless, with the release of their third album Money and Celebrity the Subways are more than just the highlight of the current vogue. They have firmly established themselves as one of the momentus bands of the recent era.

However, The Subways were not there simply to showboat new material. Out of the first ten songs, only two come from their latest record. The tempo of their show is set by opening songs ‘Oh Yeah’ and ‘Young For Eternity’. Other highlights of the first half of the set include ‘Alright’, ‘Mary’ and the storming ‘Shake Shake!’

Billy is almost apologetic as he asks the crowd if it is okay to play more recent songs and they launch into ‘We Don’t Need Money to Have A Good Time’ and ‘Popdeath’. Perhaps it was just me, but by far the most emotionally charged song of the night was the gut wrenching ‘I Want To Hear What You Have Got To Say’.

Other more recent songs played included ‘Kiss Kiss Bang Bang’ and, by far the best track off their latest album, ‘Celebrity’. Rounding the set off with a three song encore of ‘Kalifornia’, ‘1 AM’ and new single ‘It’s a Party’ the Subways have, in the space of seventy minutes, made it feel as though they’ve never been away.

The only thing missing is a rendition of ‘Lostboy’. But that is not to take away from the band who have endured a tumultuous journey in order to keep bringing music to their fans. For this, on Wednesday night, the audience at The Foundry was extremely grateful.