Tramlines 2011 – Preview Part 1

Photo: Robin Byles/Flickr

A few issues back we ran an interview with Sarah Nulty, assistant festival director of Tramlines and picked out a handful of acts that we recommended you see this year. Since then the line up for the festival grown and now there are over 800 acts confirmed.

So we felt our recommendation’s needed an update as they only scratched the surface of all the excellent free music on offer over the weekend.

Guillemots – Special ‘Tramlines Eve’ Leadmill show on Thursday night, doors 7:30pm. Main Stage, Saturday, 8:45pm. 

Guillemots (or gUiLLeMoTs if you prefer) will be essentially kicking off the festival weekend with their special appearance at Leadmill on Tramlines Eve. You can also catch them ripping up the Main Stage with their brilliant indie-pop, following on from the success of their third album Walk The River. This Mercury-nominated band is not to be missed.

Mabel Love – Leadmill, Saturday, 10pm
Considering this group of indie-rockers only formed in 2009 they’ve found a lot of success. They recently completed a tour with man of the moment Miles Kane and Supported Arctic Monkeys at their phenomenal Don Valley Bowl show.

Hardened Face by mabellove

Frankmusik – Main Stage Saturday, 3:45pm
Vincent James Turner, more commonly referred to by his moniker, Frankmusik, will be joining Pixie Lott on the Main Stage on the Saturday. The electropop producer and songwriter’s debut album, Complete Me, reached number 13 in the UK album chart and the follow up is due for release in September of this year. Listen to his tribute to Daft Punk below

Our Discovery [Tribute to Daft Punk] – Frankmusik by FRANKMUSIK

Jack Rabbit – Forum, Friday, 6:30pm
Although they’ve not been around long, this 5 piece have been making quite a name for themselves around Sheffield having supported the likes of John and Jehn and more recently Wolf Gang. Self described ‘shoegaze surfers’ this Indie outfit put on a excellent live show packed full of memorable tracks. And luckily for you they’re playing Tramlines not once, but twice; at the Forum on Friday and Bungalows and Bears on the Saturday

Vices by youfoundjackrabbit
The Crookes – The Shakespeare, Friday, 11pm. Main Stage, Sunday, 3:15pm
For a chance to see Sheffield’s next big things in a more intimate setting, catch The Crookes at The Shakespeare on Friday. Otherwise, see the Romantic darlings play the Main Stage, and see how lyrically amazing the band are. Nobody else can make kitchen-sink sound this good, as their debut album Chasing After Ghosts has proven.

Islet – The Harley, Friday, 11pm
As part of the Drowned In Sound-curated night at The Harley, Islet will be bringing their special brand of energetic post-rock all the way over from Wales. Expect some strange vocals, utterly confusing
instrument swaps and a variety of different noises from this enigmatic group.

2 Responses to “Tramlines 2011 – Preview Part 1”