Tramlines: AlunaGeorge @ The Harley

AlunaGeorge

When your EP, emphasis on EP and not LP, is recently tipped as one of Pitchfork’s ‘Best Albums You’ve Missed this Year’, there could potentially be a little bit of pressure on your next performance. But when AlunaGeorge took to the intimate stage of the Harley on Tramlines’ first night, if they were feeling pressurised for this performance, they didn’t let the audience know. Instead they stormed through their set, rousing the crowd more and more; till the crescendo at half hour mark when they disappeared, without an encore to a crowd that were almost on their knees asking for more.

If you’ve never heard of AlunaGeorge they’re the collaborative efforts of Aluna Francis and George Reid, mixing Aluna’s enticing R&B vocals with George’s minimalist electronic production to create sweet, sweet music. Aluna’s the type of girl that oozes cool through every pore of her body and her performance portrayed the confidence of someone who’d been doing this a lot longer.

Easily their biggest hit is ‘You Know You Like It’; and this gathered a massive reception from what previously hadn’t been noticed as a particularly raucous crowd. Almost the second Aluna began with ‘Some people want me to be heads or tails’, there was an explosion in response as the Harley descended into screams and dancing along with the band.

‘Put up your Hands’ had the crowd playing out the rhythm in their hips and the second track from their EP, ‘Just a Touch’ created such a storm; it was amazing to see someone so fresh and new gain such recognition. The performance was flawless, the production was tight and Aluna appeared to have stolen many hearts that night.

If Pitchfork aren’t enough to convince you that this is a band to watch, then the fact they offer previously unreleased tracks, including their Lana Del Rey ‘Born to Die’ remix as a free download on their website (http://www.alunageorge.com/freedownload) should twist your arm enough to give this band the time of day. Believe us, you won’t regret it.