The former leader of the Green Party has been nominated by the party to be a candidate for Sheffield Central as the party are suspecting a snap-election will be held in the near future.

Former Green Party leader Natalie Bennett has been nominated to be the Sheffield Central Candidate. Bennett credited the former Sheffield Central candidate, Jillian Creasy, for boosting the popularity of the Green Party over the last two elections. In 2015, they came second with the third highest Green vote across the country.

Ms Bennett, who stood down as party leader in September, said: “I’m honoured that Green Party members in Sheffield have given me the opportunity to build on that work, to elect the first Green MP in the North.”

“I visited Sheffield regularly as Green Party leader and what I saw made me decide to make my life here. I was inspired by the great radical political tradition and the exciting developments in small businesses, social enterprises and cooperatives. I saw inspiring artistic endeavour, the energy of the universities and their students and experienced the green environment of the Outdoor City.”

Sheffield Greens increased their average share of the vote by 5% across the constituency in the May 2016 council elections and have elected councillors in three of the five wards.

The party are preparing for a snap general election and believe that Sheffield’s needs match the Green Party ideals. Ms Bennett said: “Sheffield is leading the country in redeveloping its industrial roots and building on strengths in the creative and technology industries. The city also stands out for welcoming refugees and developing innovative community institutions in response to the hideous damage inflicted by Tory austerity.

“Sheffield deserves to have its views loudly and clearly represented in Westminster by a party that is resolute and secure in its values and principles and an individual equipped to ensure those views are heard.” she added.

Sheffield Green Party Election Agent Eamonn Ward added: “Natalie made numerous visits to support Jillian Creasy’s campaign in 2015 and our council election campaign last May. With Natalie as candidate, we can build on solid work since our first Councillor was elected here in 2004 and elect the first Green MP in the north.”

Paul Blomfield, Labour, has held the Sheffield Central Consituency seat since 2010.