Sheffield Council intend to maintain the city’s title as one of the greenest cities in the UK, as new plans to plant over 8,000 large and small trees by March 2018 commence. On the 1st of November, the first trees were planted to mark the start of the scheme. The Lord Mayor, Councillor Anne Murphy attended the ceremony in Burngreave.

The first large tree was planted by local Scouts from the St Peter’s Ellesmere Scout Troop who planted the ‘heavy standard’ tree opposite St Peter’s Church. Smaller trees were planted on Grimesthorpe Road near the Scouts’ centre.

Following public requests being granted, the bigger trees will be planted to replace those removed from parks and green spaces due to health and safety concerns in areas across Sheffield.

6,800 smaller trees are being planted as part of an initiative to create new woodland and increase biodiversity.  The planting areas have been carefully chosen so as to cause no disturbance to locals, assuring no shade to homes or gardens and improved drainage.

Councillor Mary Lea, Cabinet Member for Culture, Sport and Leisure said, “These new woodlands will bring diversity to the landscape, encourage wildlife and give residents even more opportunities to connect with nature.

“I look forward to seeing these trees grow and thrive, thanks to the hard work of all the volunteers and all those involved in this vital project.”

The scheme led by the Council’s Community Forestry team, is aiming to involve local communities to help with the planting. Schools, colleges and community groups such as Ellesmere Scout Troop have already got involved with the project to expand greenery throughout the city.

Tim Shortland, the Community Forestry Manager who is responsible for the tree planting added, “Sheffield’s existing woodlands are nationally renowned but many are in decline and will not last forever.

“The establishment of new urban woodland will preserve this amazing woodland legacy for future generations and, in the shorter term, provide a diversity of habitats for wildlife.”

The next tree planting will be held on the 21st November and will be aided by students from Firvale School. These trees will include pin oaks on the main avenue in Burngreave Cemetery along with a silver birch and cut leaf alder in Abbeyfield Park.

The Streets Ahead Highways Maintenance and Management service, operated by Amey, will also plant more than 1,200 young trees across Sheffield this winter as part of the annual planting season. This is the sixth successive season of tree planting by Amey and will bring the total number of new street trees in Sheffield to almost 6,000 since the programme began in 2012.