A survey has found that over half of Sheffielders would like to see less student-orientated venues on West Street and Devonshire Green.

With the aim of improving the area, last week Sheffield City Council published online survey results asking 800 people what they think of the space.

When asked what they would like to see less of, 59 per cent asked for fewer student-orientated venues. Meanwhile 74 per cent of respondents requested fewer off licences, and 56 per cent wanted fewer fast food outlets.

Over half of respondents, 56 percent, said they would recommend the area to a friend and enjoyed visiting the area before 5pm. However, this number dropped to 46 per cent between 5pm and 11pm and then plummeted to just 22 per cent after 11pm.

Asked what they would like to see more of, nearly 90 per cent of respondents said they would like to see more boutiques and independent shops whilst 75 per cent wanted more high quality restaurants. When asked what would make the area better the top four answers were: more support for the homeless; a stronger CCTV and police presence; more lighting in side streets; and a responsible retailers scheme for shops selling alcohol.

Labour Councillor and Cabinet Member for Environment and Streetscene, Bryan Lodge, said: “The findings are invaluable in helping us decide what we need to do in the future to address the concerns expressed by people who have told us that whilst they enjoy the area they think certain behaviours need to be tackled.”

Director of Public Health, Greg Fell added: “West Street and Devonshire Green are well represented in the city’s Best Bar None scheme for responsible alcohol retailers and Sheffield as a whole has Purple Flag status for a safer night-time economy.”