University of Sheffield students have taken part in the Philosophy in the City project to teach philosophy across South Yorkshire.

Soon to enter its 12th year, the project aims to demonstrate the importance of philosophy in solving problems from everyday life.

It is run by student volunteers who go to schools and colleges to encourage pupils to develop their own ideas and critical thinking.

‘It can make a real difference’

Aimee Goldsmith, president of Philosophy in the City and a third year student at the University of Sheffield, said: “Philosophy is one of the best tools available for helping us to think critically, clearly and creatively about many of the problems that exist in the world today.

“Philosophy can be useful and it isn’t a subject in which people are hidden away in ivory towers holding endless and meaningless debates. It can make a real difference to people’s lives.”

Project participants also organise workshops on issues such as empathy, held in homeless shelters, care homes or pubs in the city to make the subject more accessible to the wider community.

For the wider community

Marina Georgiou, a third year Philosophy student and volunteer for the project, said: “Philosophy in the City should be more for people in the city. The aim is to get everyone, who is interested in philosophy, to be engaged, despite their background.”

“We should get everyone who is interested in philosophy engaged, despite their background”

The volunteers participating in the project want to inspire school and college students to continue their studies into higher education regardless of their background. 

Philosophy in the City has expanded this year to enable student philosophers to deliver a series of talks on philosophical and religious themes in Sheffield Cathedral.