Hundreds of students have donned the racket and face paint in a glow in the dark Social Sport event hailed the most successful ever.

More than 200 students descended on the Octagon on Friday, 9 March, to play badminton and zumba under fluorescent light.

Organised by the Social Sport programme, throughout the day 127 students participated in 13 badminton sessions and 106 students packed out two zumba classes in the music-filled glowing darkness.

Martin Cook, the university’s Social Sport Officer who co-ran the event, said: “We have done a few Glow in the Dark events over the past few years but this was our most successful, attracting more students, staff and community members than ever to participate.

The event cost only £3 for 40 minutes (picture: Social Sport)

“The feedback post event has been extremely positive and we look forward to running many more in the future!”

Ollie Dane, a first-year Geography and Planning student who was at the event, said: “I went to one of the badminton sessions with a few mates and really enjoyed it.

MORE FROM FORGE SPORT:

Social Sport Officers Martin Cook and James Blencowe, who organised the event (picture: Social Sport)

“Credit goes to Martin Cook and Social Sport because it was so impressive and fun all for only £3. It was great to see it packed out as well.”

Student Becky Quirke was also at the badminton, and said: “It was so fun! It all went so quickly I was loving it that much – it almost felt like it was over before it had begun.”

The badminton and zumba classes were packed out throughout the day (picture: Social Sport)

Cook also highlighted how the glow in the dark event fits within the ethos of the wider Social Sport scheme which aims to make sport more accessible and relaxing, allowing students to participate in almost 50 sessions each week at low cost.

He added: “It is such a unique event that we love to run, taking sport, activity and classes to a completely different environment away from a traditional sporting setting.”

All updates on the upcoming array of Social Sport sessions after Easter can be found here.