University named best student accommodation in UK

Endcliffe Student Village

The University of Sheffield’s accommodation has been recognised as more than just a room after winning the prize for Best Student Housing at the College and University Business Officers awards.

The student villages in Endcliffe and Ranmoor were praised for offering excellence  in the student living experience by providing services and activities that help create an inclusive community.

Pat McGrath, Director of Accommodation and Commercial Services (ACS) at the University of Sheffield said: “We’re really proud to be awarded Best Student Housing at the CUBO awards, it’s a great achievement.

“Students that live in our accommodation get more than just a room, they become part of a diverse community. There are opportunities to get involved and learn new skills, whether it’s helping organise events for other students, gaining valuable work experience or volunteering for local charitable causes.”

In 2005, the University of Sheffield started its £160 million Student Residences Strategy, aiming to create over 4,000 new bedrooms and a new social and event space within four years.

Endcliffe and Ranmoor were created as a part of new build and refurbished properties. Both are set within a landscape parkland.

In the centre of the villages are brand new buildings designed with a community and social focus for all residents. They have been the heart of many popular events including Endcliffe’s very own version of the popular ITV1 show, Take Me Out.

86 per cent of students who live in University accommodation are satisfied with their overall experience, according to the University’s Student Residents Survey of 2011/12.