Bummit hitch-hikers raise over £66,000 for charities

A group of students from Bummit bounced through Sheffield on  Spacehoppers to present local charity Fable with a £9,000 cheque.

Bummit, a charity hitch hiking group, raised over £66,000 for charity on their trek from Sheffield to Budapest this March.

Around 220 people hiked to Budapest via Berlin in two one-week trips, where each person had £15 to spend on travel across Europe.

Bummit chair Rob Hughes said that everyone involved had a really good time: “It was fantastic, it’s a really good experience for anyone to do.

“We have a really good time and we also raise money for local charity. We are doing something to combat the misconception of students.

“Everyone gets to have a good time but also help charities- we give 85 per cent of our money to local charities.

“We can link the participants with what they have achieved.”

Bummit Committee members and Bummit participants bounced on space hoppers to Fable’s office.

“It is always great to give back to the local community and have fun at the same time,” said Cassie Wilkins, Bummit publicity officer.

Students started at Bar One and were led through Sheffield by Hughes and charities officer Madeleine Whitehead.

Fable, based on Glossop Road, was established in 1995.

It aims to improve the lives of local people with epilepsy through raising awareness and understanding of the condition, and through supporting families and recipients of epilepsy treatment.

The money will help run a drop-in advice centre for two months.

Activities Officer Rachel Colley said she was impressed with everyone’s hard work and that the next Bummit challenge is on its way: “Baby Bummit 2011 is going to Cardiff next Wednesday with over 100 students, hoping to raise yet more cash for valuable charities in the local Sheffield area.”

They are also planning a big European hitch hike later this year.
Bummit is organised annually by Raising and Giving (RAG) at the University of Sheffield, and has already completed eight successful hitch hikes.

In total Bummit 2010 raised £66,657. A grand total of £51,325 was donated back to Sheffield through such local organisations as Sheffield Volunteering, Lane End Farm and Catch 22.

£8,332 was donated to three international charities, including Anti-Slavery International.

Hughes said that fundraising from Bummit is something local charities have come to rely on: “Raising money for charity is absolutely crucial to us.”