Euro-hike students raise £70,000

The University of Sheffield’s Bummit committee has raised £70,000 following this Easter’s seven day hitch-hike to Krakow, Poland.

More than 350 students travelled over 1500 miles on a transport budget of just £15.

Teams journeyed through 13 different countries, travelling not only in cars but also on school buses, cars, vans, boats, helicopters, trains, hot air balloons, lorries and bicycles.

High demand for places meant two separate trips were planned with every place taken within an hour.

Bummit Chairman, Rob Hughes, said: “The event this year was a resounding success.

“The event has yet again succeeded in generating thousands for charity whilst ensuring that every participant has arrived home with unforgettable memories from their adventures.

“The event ran smoothly with no major problems. Thanks for this must go to all the participants for their responsible behaviour and to the organising committee and staff member Emma Damian-Grint who has worked tirelessly over the past year to ensure the success of the event.

“We encourage any student looking to travel, make friends, create unforgettable memories and be part of the biggest fundraising event at the University to get involved next year.

“Next year is Bummit’s tenth year. Don’t miss out.”

Each participant raised a minimum of £200 with 85 per cent of the money being donated to local charities in Sheffield and the surrounding area.

Charities included KIDS, which supports families with disabled children, and Doncaster Rape and Sexual Abuse Counselling Service, which offers free one-to-one counselling for victims of abuse.

First year students Tim Bugeja and Jurek Osada took part in Trip One, arriving in Krakow on April 18.

Bugeja said: “A trip with indescribable highs and lows. The friendliness of everyone on Bummit with a mixture of year-groups becoming friends felt like Fresher’s week again.”

Jurek, originally from Warsaw, hitch hiked home for the Easter break.

He said: “We both thought it was a great experience and we were surprised that so many people were willing to help.”

Friends and family were able to follow the teams’ progress via Twitter and the Bummit Progress Tracker, with excitement building as students reached the half way stop of Ljubljana in Slovenia before completing their trip to Krakow.

Students’ Union Activities Officer Rachel Colley said: “I was present at both morning set offs, and even the early start could not stop the air of enthusiasm from spreading around the Students’ Union.

“Everyone thoroughly enjoyed Bummit, as always – it remains a truly legendary event at Sheffield Students’ Union.”