Exams disrupted after roof fault

Goodwin Sports Hall

Students sitting exams at Goodwin Sports Hall were disrupted yesterday after part of the packing material in its roof collapsed.

Nobody was injured in the incident but buses were needed to transport students to a new examination site at the Sheffield Wednesday football grounds.

Medicine, Philosophy, Management, and Nursing and Midwifery exams had been due to be sat at the venue in the afternoon.

A University spokesperson said: “The University can confirm that emergency repairs were required to an expansion joint in the concrete beams at Goodwin Sports Hall. The problem related to a packing material which became loose.

“The safety and well being of our students is paramount to the University. As a result, the site was inspected by campus services before a decision was taken, as a precaution, to close the sports hall on Wednesday 23 May to allow for an inspection by a structural engineer to ensure that the area was safe.

“The engineering report has confirmed that the building is safe to use and the remedial repairs to the packing pieces have been undertaken.”

The University said exams expected today will go ahead at the venue.                                                        

UPDATE: Exams in Mechanical Engineering and Management are taking place this morning.