Four shot next to University

A man has been shot dead and three others wounded on a street next to the University of Sheffield.

The shooting took place at 6.30pm on Wednesday, July 1, on Brunswick Street, Broomhall, which is home to the University Nursery.

James Kamara, 22, was pronounced dead at the scene after being shot with a semi-automatic weapon, and three other men in their 20s were taken to hospital. One is in a serious but stable condition and the others have minor injuries.

Broomhall residents had voiced fears that the shoot-out was the result of tension between Somali and Jamaican gangs, but Chief Superintendent Paul Broadbent told a press conference today that neither group of men were from Broomhall.

“There was an isolated, targeted attack involving two small groups of people who happened to be in the Broomhall area at the time of the incident. We believe that this was gang-related,” he said.

A post-mortem today will establish how many shots the dead man received and what type of gun was used.

One man has already been arrested, but police say he is not the main suspect.

Armed police have been on guard in the area today while detectives questioned local residents. 

James Meyer, a second year History student who lived in Broomhall this academic year, said: “It’s not a violent place. From what I saw, it was only gang-on-gang violence if anything.”

He added: “If you don’t go looking for trouble then Broomhall is a safe place to live.”

Police want to hear from anyone with any information about the attack. 

Call 0114 220 2020 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.