‘Fund Education Not War’ proposal voted in, as record turnout chooses new union councillors

The University’s latest team of union councillors have been brought into office as students make key decisions in referenda. This year’s council elections saw a record turnout with 4,989 students taking part.
Students had the opportunity to vote for their academic and representative councillors until 5pm Thursday. This year’s Students’ Union councillor elections saw the addition of three referenda.
The first of the three referenda called for the Union to oppose the University’s investments in arms companies that profit from the arrangement.

‘Fund Education, Not War’, the alternative proposal, passed and will replace previous arms policies. The proposal states that the Students’ Union should maintain a “strong anti-arms trade policy” and invest in more ethical companies rather than those who produce weapons.
This alternative proposal was submitted by a petition of over 500 students. In a previous referendum, over 75 per cent of students backed a similar campaign to put an end to University dealings with arms companies.

The second of the referenda concerned ‘Solidarity with Palestine’. As outlined in the referendum, the Union believes Israel should end its occupation of Palestinian territories and allow the return of Palestinian refugees according to international law.
Students who voted yes to ‘Palestine solidarity’ voted to ensure that the University will no longer support companies that are complicit in war crimes and support the decision to join the global campaign for human rights in Israel and Palestine. This motion was passed. The 2012 Constitutional Review was also passed.

Responsible for holding union officers to account, debating Union policy and representing student issues, the union council is the highest decision making body in the Students’ Union.
The council is composed of one representative from each of the University’s 46 academic departments.
A further eight representative councillors for various student groups also sit on the council.
The ballot remained open for the representative councillors, enabling voters to decide for themselves if they self-defined into that group.

ACADEMIC COUNCILLORS

Animal and Plant Sciences: Seph Earley
Archeology: Aaron Kulakiewicz
Architecture: Aftab Shaikh
Automatic Control and Systems Engineering: Ben Munyaneza
Biblical Studies: Aysha Musa
Biomedical Science: Ellen Buckley
Chemical and Biological Engineering: Henry Wolff
Chemistry: Nadia Konneh
Civil and Structural Engineering: Omar Jadallah
Computer Science: Sam Brown
East Asian Studies: Jessie Smith
Education: Dan Brooks
Economics: Adam Ellerington
Electronic and Electrical Engineering: Saqib Moosa
English Language and Linguistics: Tom Daniel
English Literature and Theatre: Sam Rae
French: Charles Meade
Germanic Studies: Lucy Tomlinson
Geography: James Flint
History: Miriam Dobson
Human Communication Sciences: Sarah Wilson
Information Studies: Qing Zhang
Institute for Lifelong Learning: Mick Lee
Journalism: Unsa Akhtar
Law: Jack Roberts
Management School: Stephen McGlynn
Materials Science and Engineering: Hamish Ellis

Mechanical Engineering: Furkan Kaya
Modern Languages: Rachel Tibbetts
Molecular Biology and Biotechnology: Sam Smith
Music: Hannah Donkin
Nursing and Midwifery: Stacey Spencer
Philosophy: Alastair Pearson
Physics and Astronomy: Glenn Jones
Politics: Oliver Clay
Psychology: Dale Griffin
Russian and Slavonic Studies: Ellie Whiteley
ScHARR: Mwikali Kivuvani
School of Clinical Dentistry: Kieran Bhakta
School of Mathematics and Statistics: Hazel Ryan
Sociological Studies: Hannah Godfrey
Town and Regional Planning: Ally Buckle

REPRESENTATIVE COUNCILLORS

Black Students: Al-Hussein Abutaleb
International Students: Nathalie Galfrascoli
LGBT Students: Emma Galley
Mature Students: Tracey Lee
Postgraduate Research Students: Opal Mattila
Postgraduate Taught Students: Marija Ivoninaite
Students with Disabilities: Aleks Loesch
Women Students: Lucy Pedrick