Green party opposes University’s plans for second time in recent weeks

The Green party has opposed a University of Sheffield development plan for the second time in three weeks.

Both times the local party has said the University’s plans will lead to an increase in traffic problems.

Broomhill Green party has objected to the University’s proposals to develop its unused Tapton halls of residence into flats and housing, saying the surrounding conservation area “deserves a top-notch development” yet the existing plans could resemble a “standard housing estate”.

They’ve also said an “increase in traffic near the site could lead to both congestion and road safety problems.”

These criticisms come three weeks after the party released a separate statement opposing the University’s joint plans with nearby hospitals to build a multi-storey car park on Glossop Road.

They said such a development would “likely increase traffic flow in the surrounding streets and lead to a decrease in overall road safety, especially for pedestrians and cyclists.”

Regarding the latest criticisms, local Green party spokesperson Jon Ashe said: “This site is in the Broomhill Conservation Area, highlighted as one of the best places in England in a national newspaper, and includes the historic walled garden. It deserves a top-notch development but these proposals fail in many respects.

“These plans require improvements across the board and we believe they should be withdrawn and re-submitted when the numerous issues have been addressed.”

Keith Lilley, Director of Estates and Facilities at the University of Sheffield, said: “The University has worked with Taylor Wimpey to ensure that the disused site can bring a much needed housing development to the city.

“The proposals include fewer apartments and more family houses than the previously approved scheme and traffic volumes will be lower. The development density will also be lower than the scheme previously approved and will provide high quality homes which will be attractive to families.”

This is the second time the Green party has opposed a University of Sheffield planning application in three weeks.

Jon Ashe said: “The local Green Party considers each significant planning application on its merits. We don’t have preconceived views about particular developers, and specifically we certainly don’t have negative preconceived views about the University of Sheffield and its planning applications.

“As far as I know, there are no other significant University of Sheffield planning applications currently on which we have a view.”