Hallam student, 18, shot dead

A teenager was shot dead at a birthday party in the Sheffield suburb of Burngreave in the early
hours of last Sunday morning.

Deeq Ali was studying Human Geography at Sheffield Hallam University

Eighteen-year-old Deeq Ali was shot at the community centre on Spital Hill at around 2.30am, following an argument that reportedly broke out among Somali youths.

Abdi Mohammed Omar, 24, has been charged with the murder and appeared at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday morning.

A local teenager who witnessed the attack told the Star: “These Somali guys started arguing, and one of them ended up killing the other – one guy shot the other one.”

Ali had just left a family birthday party when the incident happened.

“There wasn’t enough room in the car for us all to leave together, so he stayed behind. Twenty minutes later it all happened,” sister Sagal Ali, 21, told the Star.

Emergency services were called and the young man was taken to Northern General Hospital but died shortly after.

A post mortem examination has revealed that it was the gunshot wound that killed Ali.

Sagal said:: “Words cannot describe how heartbroken we are.

“He was my mother’s only son and the youngest of her four children.”

Deeq was studying Human Geography at Sheffield Hallam University.

Sagal said: “He was a straight A-grade student with the whole of his life ahead of him.”

A community meeting of police, city councillors and community leaders was held in Burngreave as South Yorkshire Police appealed for help.

“We would like everybody to stay calm, give as much information as they can, and not to do
anything that would further inflame the situation.” said Superintendent Simon Torr.

Spital Hill has been cordoned off whilst police are searching for witnesses and examining CCTV
footage of the area.