A Sheffield Hallam student was fatally electrocuted when he touched a power socket during a trip in Thailand, an inquest has found.
Charlie Thomas, 20, was killed when his hand came into contact with the socket, which was embedded in a tiled pavement.
He and a friend had been sheltering from heavy rain outside a department store in Phuket when the accident happened on August 25.
Charlie touched the socket when he got to his feet after sitting through the storm.
Thai electricians later discovered the rain had caused the electrical current to leak from the power outlet.
Charlie, a Sociology student originally from Sale, had been travelling across South East Asia during the summer.
Deputy coroner Joanne Kearsley recorded a verdict of accidental death at Stockport Coroner’s Court and described the accident as an “absolute tragedy”.
A spokesman from Sheffield Hallam said: “We were very saddened to hear of Charlie’s death last year and our thoughts are with his family and friends at this difficult time.”