Hallam student killed by power socket in Thailand – inquest hears

Charlie Thomas was a Sociology student at Sheffield Hallam

A Sheffield Hallam student was fatally electrocuted when he touched a power socket during a trip in Thailand, an inquest has found.

Charlie Thomas, 20, was killed when his hand came into contact with the socket, which was embedded in a tiled pavement.
He and a friend had been sheltering from heavy rain outside a department store in Phuket when the accident happened on August 25.
Charlie touched the socket when he got to his feet after sitting through the storm.
Thai electricians later discovered the rain had caused the electrical current to leak from the power outlet.
Charlie, a Sociology student originally from Sale, had been travelling across South East Asia during the summer.
Deputy coroner Joanne Kearsley recorded a verdict of accidental death at Stockport Coroner’s Court and described the accident as an “absolute tragedy”.
A spokesman from Sheffield Hallam said: “We were very saddened to hear of Charlie’s death last year and our thoughts are with his family and friends at this difficult time.”


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

ForgeToday.com is published by Sheffield Students’ Union. Views expressed are not necessarily those of the University, the Union or the editorial team. In the first instance all complaints should be addressed to the Managing Editor, although a formal procedure exists.

All comments on ForgeToday.com are moderated before publication (or rejection). When you post a comment, it is held in a queue until we approve or reject it.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but personal attacks and defamatory comments are not acceptable.

Any complaints should be directed to the Managing Editor. Upon recieving a complaint we will remove the comment in question from view as soon as possible, so the complaint can be investigated. If a basis for complaint can be established, the comment will be permanently removed.