Heptathlon gold for Sheffield graduate

Jessica Ennis who graduated from Sheffield in 2007 with a BA in Psychology has won Britain’s first ever Heptathlon gold.

Jessica competed in the Athletics World Championships, which took place in Berlin over the weekend, beating German rival Jennifer Osser by 238 points.

Ennis won a total of three out of the seven events in total – the 100m hurdles, the high jump and the 200m.

Her triumph comes after having to pull out of the Beijing Olympics last year, due to a triple stress fracture on her right foot.

Ennis was born in Sheffield, and attended King Ecgbert School situated in the Dore area of the city.

The 23 year old graduated in 2007, during her time studing in Sheffield the University helped with funding when she competed in the World University Championships.

Speaking to the University, Ennis described the Psychology department as “Really supportive during my three years there.

“I had to balance my academic work and training and technical work. I train six days a week, but luckily, the degree was flexible so I didn’t have to spend much time sitting in lectures. I’m really glad I did it.”

Ennis now plans to take London by storm in the 2012 Olympics, after deciding to not compete in the 100m hurdles at the Athletics World Championships because she wants to recover from her heptathlon success.