Incoming Student Officer Nominated for Award

Rachel Colley, the incoming Activities Officer, has been shortlisted, as one of three students, for the title of NUS Student Unionist of the Year. 

Colley has made the final three from over 350 nominated students, she was nominated by Claire Monk, the former Activities Officer, and Nabil Alizai, a society member.

Colley has been nominated because of her work on the Volunteering Committee and has led a Sports Day event for nearly 200 local school children, helped create a display on local history at a Sheffield Museum and visited school pupils to teach Ancient Egyptian history.

She has also been chair of Raising and Giving (RAG) the University’s fundraising group, which is on track to raise £180,000 for charity this year and has held sponsored walks, bungee jumps, cake stalls and many other fundraising events.

In addition, Colley was also elected as a joint ‘New Society Rep’ on the Societies Committee in 2009/10 where, over the year, she has personally corresponded with 96 new society applicants, helping 53 to be established and has offered advice to new starters.

Colley said: “It is an incredible honour to have been nominated by my working colleagues and peers for the award.

“I have been so lucky with the opportunities available at the University to get involved, and through these opportunities I have met the most amazing and talented people.

“Activities literally get me out of bed every morning, especially as I get to work with the most innovative, passionate and dedicated students and staff, who make any task an enjoyable challenge.”

The winner of the award will be decided by judges who will consider who has excelled the most during their time at University, going above and beyond normal expectations for the benefit of the union, its members and the academic and wider community.

Claire Monk, former Activities Officer, said: “Rachel is an exceptional person, directly and significantly contributing to the life of Sheffield through her extracurricular activities.

“She is well known within the Union for her selfless nature. This hard work and dedication is outstanding, and she should be celebrated for being an admirably generous person, and she has done all this whilst studying for her degree.”

The results will be revealed on the 1st July 2010.