Sheffield elections: Wards to watch 2012

As voters flood to the polls to fill the 28 seats of Sheffield City Council that are up for election Forge Press takes a look at the seats that are going to be hotly contested when the results are revealed on Friday.

Any one of Labour, the Lib Dems or the Green Party could win in the heavily student populated Broomhill ward, with former council leader Paul Scriven going up against Labour’s Jayne Dunn and the Green Party’s former Central ward councillor Brian Little.

Earlier this year, Scriven backed Forge Press’s campaign to win refunds for members of the S10 Health gym. However last year, Labour’s Stuart Wattam won the Broomhill seat from Liberal Democrat candidate Alan Whitehouse by 370 votes, and the former council leader may suffer due to student anger at his party’s role in the coalition government.

Labour gained full control of Sheffield City Council last year after winning nine seats from the Liberal Democrats. They currently hold 50 seats to the Liberal Democrats’ 32 seats. The Green Party holds two seats in total, both in the Central ward.

Labour won nine other seats from the Liberal Democrats last year, including student areas Crookes, Hillsborough and Walkley.

Four members of the Labour cabinet are standing for re-election. These are council leader Julie Dore in Arbourthorne, Bryan Lodge in Birley, Jacqueline Drayton in Burngreave and Mary Lea in Darnall.

In the Central ward, Rob Murphy of the Green party is defending a majority of just 48 over Labour, who have put forward Mohammed Akbar.

University of Sheffield student Samuel Launder, who is president of the university’s UKIP society, is standing in the Beighton ward for the party.

Three other students from the University are also running, Chaz Lockett in Walkley, Wylie Hume for Hillsborough and Sam Morecroft for Graves Park. All are standing for the Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition.

In Dore and Totley, and Nether Edge, the Liberal Democrats are defending close majorities of 375, and 496 respectively.

In Dore and Totley Colin Ross, Lib Dem is defending his seat against Labour’s Hafeas Rehman, Conservative Anne Smith and Rita Wilcock. The UKIP candidate Steven Moxon has been removed from standing by his party after it was revealed he wrote a blog post supporting Norwegian mass murderer Anders Breivik.

Liberal Democrat Ali Qadar is not standing for re-election in Nether Edge as Iltaf Hussain looks to retain the seat. He faces Rob Cole from the Greens, Nikki Bond (Labour), Afzal Shaikh for the Conservatives and Jefferey Shaw from UKIP.

In total there are 13 seats across the city where the existing councillors are not standing for re-election and have been replaced by their colleagues. Of these seats nine Liberal Democrats are not seeking re-election and four Labour councillors.

Below is a table of city councillors whose seats will be up for election.

6 Responses to “Sheffield elections: Wards to watch 2012”

1. Sam Morecroft

Thanks for mentioning that three University of Sheffield students are standing for the Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition in Sheffield. Unbiased reporting as always. As you haven’t managed to mention them, I’ll list them here for you:

Chaz Lockett – Walkley

Wylie Hume – Hillsborough

Sam Morecroft – Graves Park

2. John Doe

They also forgot to mention that George Lindars-Hammond, another University of Sheffield student, was standing for the Labour Party in Hillsborough. (And is now South Yorkshire’s youngest councillor).

I wouldn’t confuse incompetence with bias if I were you TUSC…