Main Union entrance to close

Work is due to start on the Union of Students’ building at the beginning of November, closing the main entrance and dividing level three in half.

A large section of the concourse will also be fenced off from November 2 for the duration of the 40-week build and students will have to use side entrances to access the Union.

Staff have insisted that all Union services will remain open and continue to function as usual.

Paul Tobin, Union President, said: “There will be some disruption, but we’re going to minimise this with improved signposting.”

Some services will be moved during the build, including propertywithUS which will be relocated to the reception of University House.

The Box Office will be moved to the East Entrance – where students normally exit from Union club nights – and clubbers will also have to enter and exit Fusion and Foundry from this door.

A Union spokesman said: “Security has made plans to manage the (East Entrance) area, such as using tenser barriers to separate people who are buying tickets and queuing to enter club nights. As there is no security needed at the top of the Fusion and Foundry staircase during the build, there will potentially be more security available on the entrance.”

A temporary box office for Space club night will be set up in the Octagon on Fridays so students do not have to walk to the East Entrance to collect tickets.

Tobin said: “All the club nights, societies and events will go on as usual and our new Union building will be fantastic and finished in less than a year.”

Marketing staff will be on hand to guide students around the new layout for the first two weeks of the build and maps will be available.

Disabled Students’ Councillor for 2008-09, Chris Jesson, has been monitoring the closure plans with the Union.

He said: “We don’t envisage a perfect scenario whereby everyone’s routes will not be compromised, there are bound to be hiccups along the way.

“But what I should hope to see is a contingency plan for disabled students to download.”