No refunds for students affected by gym refurb

No refunds will be given to members of S10 health when the gym at Goodwin closes in December 2011 and January 2012 to undergo refurbishment.

Last year, students were left disappointed after they were refunded a mere £15, despite many joining for a year to use only the swimming pool.

Refunds could only be collected up to September 1 2011, but students were not notified of this in advance.
A University of Sheffield spokesperson said: “The customers had at least three months to apply for a refund, and at most, they had nine months.

“The University felt that this was a reasonable amount of time and therefore we will not be issuing further refunds.”
In the contract new members of S10 health have to sign, it is stipulated that “no refunds will be issued due to the gym and pool being unavailable, even if the closures exceed 30 consecutive days.”

Second year International  History and International  Politics student Alisha Rouse said: “It’s completely taking advantage of students whose only option is to join this gym, both because of location and price.”
“The contract gave you no choice at all, it was a very ‘like it or lump it’ offering.”

A University of Sheffield spokesperson said: “The University will not be issuing refunds for the period of refurbishment during December and January. The gym receives a very low footfall during the Christmas vacation period and therefore we will be keeping disruption to a minimum.

“We recognise that any disruption is not ideal for members, but to complete a project on the scale we are planning is impossible to do without closing for a period of time. We apologize to customers who will be inconvenienced during this period.”

Goodwin Sports Centre has already been the subject of heavy refurbishment with the swimming pool being closed off to members throughout most of the last academic year. Despite this, S10 Health warn that “the pool may be unavailable for a period from April 2012 due to new refurbishment.”

The football and hockey pitches adjacent to Goodwin are also undergoing heavy refurbishment, impacting on pitch bookings and clubs’ training sessions, while the University is developing a brand new rugby pitch.