NUS backs new anti-cuts demo

Sheffield at Anti-cuts demo
Not giving up: NUS back Cuts march

The National Union of Students has backed a demonstration by anti-cuts groups in London, who are protesting against cuts to public services and the increases in tuition fees.

The demonstration will take place just two weeks before strike action on Wednesday November 30 where public sector unions will be voicing their anger over pension reforms.

NUS President Liam Burns said: “When fees are trebled, the Education Maintenance Allowance scrapped, and even less money is spent on supporting students financially, don’t be surprised that demonstrations are here to stay.”

At its executive meeting last month the NUS voted overwhelmingly in support of NCAFC’s actions and has also pledged resources to their cause.

This is just the latest action from the NCAFC who have been behind initiatives including student walkouts and protests.

Michael Chessum of NCAFC said: “This government has scrapped support for the poorest schools and Further Education students while making the worst cuts in the history of education.”

“We are determined to save education as an accessible public service.”

“We are expecting tens of thousands to come down to the demo on November 9. It’s vital that we keep fighting for education as well as linking it to the broader movement.”

The Students’ Union has currently booked one coach to take to the demonstration.