Police crash kills student

A nineteen-year-old Sheffield Hallam student was killed after he was struck by a police car on Broad Lane in the early hours of last Wednesday morning.

Jamie Haslett was out with two friends when the panda car hit him just before 4AM on Wednesday October 27.

South Yorkshire Police said he died at the scene.

The police car was responding to an ambulance call for assistance.
Haslett, originally from the Isle of Man, had just started his second year studying for a BSc in Sport and Business Management.

A spokeswoman for Sheffield Hallam University said: “We are sad to confirm that one of our students, Jamie Haslett, died in a road traffic incident on Broad Lane, Sheffield.

“He will be sadly missed and our thoughts are with his loved ones during this difficult time.”

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has now launched an investigation into Haslett’s death.

IPCC Commissioner Nicholas Long said: “My thoughts are with Jamie’s family at this incredibly difficult time.

“Our investigators have met with them and have begun the work to examine all the circumstances surrounding the incident in the hope that we can identify how and why this tragedy happened.”

The crash site opposite the Sir Frederick Mappin Building has already been covered in flowers, gifts, and cards, with one card reading: “Top guy who will never be forgotten. R.I.P. mate.”

Another said: “Class clown Jamie. You will be sorely missed.”

Haslett had a passion for sports, especially football, and was also a talented track and field athlete.

His former football club, Laxey FC, honoured him with a minute of applause before their game last weekend, where players were joined on the pitch by Haslett’s father and two brothers.

Harry Wade, chairman of Laxey Football Club, said: “He was a lovely kid and one we’ll really miss.

“Jamie’s family wanted us to have a minute of applause instead of a minute’s silence. I think that is what Jamie would have wanted too.”

Haslett is survived by his parents, sister and two brothers.

His family thanked friends and family for their support in a statement issued by the Isle of Man Constabulary.

Haslett’s school St Ninian’s High School paid tribute to him: “All the staff at St Ninian’s High School send their heartfelt condolences to the Haslett family on the tragic loss of their son and brother Jamie.

”Throughout school, Jamie was a well liked and respected pupil. He represented the school at every level of sport and also the Island as part of the successful boys’ football team that competed in California.

“To all who knew Jamie he was a friendly, sociable, well liked and respected young man.”