Pride of Sheffield: Our local heros on the New Year’s honours list

Photo: Andy Chubb, Sport Sheffield
Photo: Andy Chubb, Sport Sheffield

Sheffield’s Jessica Ennis, Lord Sebastian Coe and The University of Sheffield’s Vice Chancellor Keith Burnett and Pro Chancellor Kathryn Riddle are among the New Year’s Honour list announced today.

Jessica Ennis will be made a CBE after winning heptathlon Olympic gold this year.

Lord Coe, will become a Companion of Honour after leading London and the rest of Britain to success in the Olympics this summer.

For the full list of our local heroes on the New Year’s Honours List see below:

CBE

Miss Jessica Ennis, MBE. Heptathlete. For services to Athletics. (South Yorkshire)

Dr Marian Wilson. Deputy director, Sheffield, HM Revenue and Customs. For services to Increasing Tax Revenue through Innovative National Schemes. (Chesterfield, Derbyshire)

OBE

Ms Shahnaz Ali. Senior Lead in Equality and Diversity, NHS North West. For services to Equality and Diversity. (Sheffield, South Yorkshire)

Ms Lynne Middleton. Head, Strategy, MI And Performance, Human Resources, Department for Work and Pensions. For services to Tackling Youth Unemployment. (Sheffield, South Yorkshire)

Mrs Kathryn Elizabeth Riddle. Chair, NHS North of England and Pro-Chancellor, University of Sheffield. For services to the NHS and to Higher Education. (Sheffield, South Yorkshire)

Ms Sylvia Yates. Formerly Executive director, Sheffield City Region. For services to Sheffield City Region and Humber Regeneration. (Sheffield, South Yorkshire)

MBE

Michael Roy Mottram. Equipment Officer, South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service. For services to Local Government. (Sheffield, South Yorkshire)

Glyn Rhodes. Founder, Sheffield Boxing Centre. For services to Boxing and Young People in Sheffield. (South Yorkshire)

British empire medal

Harold John Burkhill. For charitable services in Sheffield South Yorkshire. (Sheffield, South Yorkshire)

Christopher John Sellars. For services to Swimming Coaching in Derbyshire. (Sheffield, South Yorkshire)

Malcolm Torry. For services to Sailing and to People with Disabilities through Carsington Sailability in Derbyshire. (Sheffield, Sou

Knights bachelor

Professor Keith Burnett, CBE, FRS. Vice-Chancellor, University of Sheffield. For services to Science and Higher Education. (Sheffield, South Yorkshire)

Companion of Honour

Lord Sebastian Coe, a former Tapton School pupil who was brought up in Sheffield, becomes a Companion of Honour after masterminding the success of London 2012 Olympics