Protest against ticket barriers

A protest was held by Paul Blomfield and colleagues on Saturday, October 10 at Sheffield Train Station, who were campaigning against East Midlands Trains planning application for ticket barriers at the station.

Since the company applied for planning permission on the 18th September, Mr Blomfield and his colleagues have campaigned on three separate occasions, during the morning and evening rush hours, aiming to encourage passengers to sign letters of objection and handing out over 2500 flyers.

Last Friday, over 100 letters were signed by members of the public opposing the construction of the barriers, contributing to the total of almost 500 letters.

The local Labour candidate for Sheffield Central has been working with local residents to stop what he views as putting the interests of a private company ahead of the public interest.

The letters also cite public access issues, safety and security problems, as well as the accusation that barriers would break up Sheffield’s integrated transport system, as negative outcomes of the proposed work.

It is also argued that East Midlands Trains should protect their revenues by putting more inspectors on their trains, instead of ‘punishing Sheffield residents’.

Blomfield said: “I am delighted by the overwhelmingly positive response to the campaign.”

500 letter of objection signed by station users sends out a very clear and strong message to East Midlands Trains that we don’t want our city cut in half.”

East Midlands Trains stated that they wanted to install the barriers to stop fare dodging and suggested that residents are given passes that would allow them to continue to use the footbridge, which is a pedestrian route between the city centre, Norfolk Park and Park Hill and a Supertram stop.

The company has hired BPR Architects, a London based firm, to work on the project.

Blomfield plans to personally hand the letters of objection into the Council’s Planning Department within the next week.