Rise in graduates taking low-skilled jobs

The number of graduates being employed in jobs such as cleaners and bartenders has doubled in the last five years, according to new figures released by the Higher Education Statistics Agency.

Approximately 10,000 graduates who completed their degree in 2010/11 were working in low-skilled jobs including cleaners, waiters/waitresses and road sweepers – according to the data.

This means the number of young people taking jobs that do not necessarily require a degree was almost double the figure of 2006/7.

Overall, the statistics showed that 20,000 graduates were still out of work six months on from graduation.

General secretary of the University and College Union, Sally Hunt, said: “Today’s figures are further bad news for students.

“People working hard at university face an incredibly challenging jobs market when they graduate and the government should be doing more to stimulate jobs and growth.”

According to the figures, 71 per cent of graduates had managed to find employment with a further 16 per cent of people deciding to stay in continued education.