Sheffield Ski Village building destroyed by blazing inferno

Image courtesy of The Sheffield Star.

A local Ski Village building has been destroyed after a fire broke out in the early hours of this morning.

Firefighters were called to the centre at Neepsend around 1am, by which time the wooden structure was a burning inferno. Fortunately, no-one was inside the building at the time.

Around 30 firefighters fought the flames at the height of the blaze, equipped with six fire engines, two main jets and an ariel ladder.

The possible presence of acetylene cylinders meant that efforts to tackle the fire were made increasingly difficult.

A 200 metre cordon had to be set up around the site. Fortunately, no homes have been affected within the area.

Incident Commander Stuart Nicholson said: “We were pumping around 3,000 litres of water per minute onto the fire from the River Don. There is very little remaining of the building. It could be a further 24 hours before we can get closer to the site to carry out our investigation because of the risk of cylinders being involved in fire.”

The large number of fire crews involved in the incident were called from Central, Rivelin, Darnall, Elm Lane, Tankersley and Lowedges.

For full video: http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/blaze-guts-sheffield-ski-village-video-1-4498674