‘Spiderwalkers’ take to the hills to raise money for Sheffield RAG

Spiderwalkers spell out the letters of Spiderwalk with sparklers
This year's spiderwalk took place in the Peak District

Six hundred and fifty students took to the Peak District on Thursday for a 12.5 mile night-time hike for University charity organisation Raising and Giving (RAG).

The hike saw teams of students making the long haul through various Sheffield parks before reaching the Peak District for a muddy walk over the scenic hills.

Reaching the half-way point of the Three Merry Lads Pub, crowds of ‘Spiderwalkers’ gathered to watch two firework displays and eat a hearty meal of either pie and chips or pasta.

The Spiderwalk committee said: “We are all so thrilled with how Spiderwalk went last night. Everyone seemed to have a really good time, the atmosphere of the event was amazing and we were really lucky with the weather. We can’t wait to see how much money we’ve raised!”

The Spiderwalk is an annual event run by RAG, which last year won the award for Charity Event of the Year, raising an impressive £13,624.

This year the total is steadily climbing and has reached £4,237.50 so far. However, sponsorship money is still coming, through the JustGiving website and RAG sponsorship forms, and this total could well be beaten.

The chair of the RAG committee, Stephanie Drummond, thanked everyone that took part.

“The Spiderwalk committee did a brilliant job of organising an event for 650 people. Thanks to all the Ragamuffins who volunteered to be stewards, and to everyone who took part,” she said.

Spiderwalker Anna Heneghan said: “I just love the atmosphere as everybody does the walk together. It’s always such a relief to get into the pub halfway and get some warm food before carrying on.”

Another spiderwalker said: “The hike up the main hill was difficult, but it was definitely worth it as
there’s such a great atmosphere and it’s good to know it’s all for charity.”

“The firework display was really spectacular; I didn’t expect it to be so good! And the
sparklers they gave us added to the fun,” she said.

One Response to “‘Spiderwalkers’ take to the hills to raise money for Sheffield RAG”