Student cleared of assaulting police officer

Law student Jamie McGregor has been cleared of assaulting a police officer while taking part in a Carnage event in Sheffield.

A jury at Sheffield crown court  unanimously agreed a not guilty verdict after four hours of deliberations.

McGregor who was taking part in the bar crawl for this 20th birthday on February 21 this year was involved in a struggle with officers where it was alleged he assaulted a police officer occasioning actually bodily harm.

He had been accused of assaulting Sgt Katherine Wallis who suffered facial injuries, a broken tooth and a dislocated knee.

Police arrested McGregor after seeing him involved in a heated debate with bouncers outside Player Bar on West Street.

In court McGregor said: “I was being dragged across the road by police.

“I heard a lot of shouting and that was it.

“I was confused to as what was going on.”

McGregor, originally from Stockport, said the police were “heavy handed” at the Carnage event.

He started his degree in 2008 and was in his second year at the time of the incident.

His studies were suspended when the University was informed of the alleged assault, he is now retaking his second year.