Student dancers raise funds for meningitis in annual showcase

Dancers from the University of Sheffield raised over £250 in their annual showcase, which finished off a record-breaking year for the University’s most popular society.

DanceSoc have won 18 trophies this academic year in competitions in Durham and Sunderland, which is a new record for the society. At the showcase, held at the Sheffield Library Theatre last Friday, dancers from all the different sections came together to show the audience their routines which have seen them bring home the prizes throughout the year.

The audience were treated to a range of performances, including tap, ballet, and street jazz. The money raised from the event will be given to the Meningitis Research Fund which helps people suffering from the illness. The charity pioneers medical research in the field with a hope of discovering new treatments for the condition.

In addition to the money raised from the ticket sales, the dancers also held a raffle to raise more cash for their chosen charity.

Catherine Smith, President of Dance Society, said: “We do competitions throughout the year, and this showcase is a nice way of showing friends and housemates the routines we’ve made.

“We’ve also hosted our own competition this year in the Octagon, and we managed to get universities like Durham and Essex to join, so it’s been a great year, with lots of hard work.”

The 80 minute show also included some stirring duos from promising dancers. Maria Digby and Sita Jobanputra danced a fine ballet routine while David Kam shone in his dance, being only one of two male performers. Nabil Alizai,  Activities Officer at the University of Sheffield’s Students’ Union, said: “The show was even better than I thought it would be.

“They’ve come such a long way, I’m so pleased for them.

“For them to win so many trophies, it’s an amazing achievement, and hopefully they’ll continue to be one of the best societies at our university.”

The society also capped off a hugely successful year scooping the Best Creative Society title at the Activities Award on Monday. They were also nominated for Best Event in Sheffield and Best Society Showcase.