Students become ‘life shavers’ to raise money for charity

Four psychology students have raised over £600 in a hair-raising event in support of a children’s cancer charity.

Cigir Kalfaoglu, Maria Panagiotidi, Michael Laycock and Hao Liu all braved the scissors and clippers to lose hair and raise money for the CLIC Sargent.

The two guys completely shaved their hair, while the girls got creative with their styles.

The Big Buzz 2012 was set up by the CLIC Sargent – the UK’s leading cancer charity for children, young people and their families. The charity is calling for people to ‘change their hair to change lives’.

When children and young people are diagnosed with cancer, many lose their hair. The Buzz asks for people to set up their own events and show their support by getting creative with their hair to raise money for CLIC Sargent.

Every day 10 children and young people in the UK are told they have cancer. The CLIC Sargent provides not only clinical and practical support, but financial and emotional help too for children and their families.

The event took place on Friday 1 June in the psychology department at the University.

So far the students have raised £610.36, including gift aid but donations are still welcome.

You can make yours by clicking here