Students will march again in second national demo

National Union of Students President Liam Burns is callingĀ on students to march again in a national demonstration in London on 21 November.

The NUS President made the announcement in a video message to delegates at the NUS Further Education Leadership training event for newly elected officers in colleges and sixth forms.

In his video addressing the delegates, Liam Burns said: “You’ve got a lot to be angry about. You’ve had your education systematically attacked across the board by the coalition.

“In a year in which there are no votes in parliament and no legislation coming before politicians, it’s about time we started setting the agenda.”

The NUS President called on student leaders to create a “new generation of activists” that could set the politcal agenda for the next general election.

An overwhelming majority of delegates voted in favour of holding another demonstration at April’s NUS National Conference held in Sheffield.

The demonstration will mark two years after 52,000 students marched through London in protest against the rise in tuition fees in November 2010 – a controversial event accumulating in a 200 strong occupation of Millbank, resulting in a stand-off with police, 35 arrests and 14 people injured.

The second national student demonstration will take place in the capital, Wednesday 21 November.