Uni sees rise in applicants

The number of students applying for places at the University of Sheffield has seen a significant rise.

Overall, undergraduate applications have risen 9.3 per cent on the figure of last year. 

Home student undergraduate applications have seen a rise of 7.1 per cent, whilst overseas applications have seen 28 per cent jump.
The figures come in the wake of the news that undergraduate applications for UK universities have risen by eight per cent on last year. 

Other national figures include a 13 per cent rise in applications from over-21s and a 12 per cent increase from EU nationals outside the UK.

The total number of students applying for a full-time university course in the UK was 464,167 – an increase of 33,678, or 7.8 per cent compared to last year.

Jane Chafer, the University’s Director of Student Recruitment, Admissions and Marketing, said: “Applications have risen in subjects across the board but of particular note is the rise in the number of applicants to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) subjects.

“The University appreciates that this is a time of uncertainty but is encouraged by the value prospective students are still placing on Higher Education.”

Union Education Officer Rebecca Watson said: “Where the applicant rate has gone up, applications from students from lower socio-economic backgrounds has actually decreased.” 

She added: “I am certainly keen to lobby the University to work towards increasing the number of applicants from these backgrounds.”

Further concerns over the figures have been raised by the comments of England’s Universities Secretary John Denham, who last month warned universities they must stop “over-recruiting”, saying there would be financial penalties if they do so. 

Nationally, Law is the most popular subject, whilst applications to study Nursing have risen 15 per cent, meaning it is in the top five most popular courses for the first time. 

Japanese has seen a 29 per cent increase in applications, with other large rises occurring in Economics and Biological Sciences.