Union rebuild designs revealed

Final images of the planned facelift for the Union of Students building have been released.

We asked students their thoughts on the new Union design.

A £5million renovation will completely change the face of the Union, opening up the interior and connecting the building with next-door University House.

The project, which will mainly be funded by the University, aims to update the building, provide more space and make it easier for students to get around.

Finance Officer, Alex Pott, said: “As the best students’ union in the country we need a better building for our students and activities.

“The current building isn’t providing the best facilities for our students. We hope that the new floor plan will open up sports and activities to more students.

“All the Officers will be based on the top level, therefore putting representation at the heart of the Union. We hope the new entrance will be a ‘wow’ factor for students and showcase the hundreds of activities on offer.”

The budget for the redesign was originally expected to be £10million but construction plans have been restructured so the renovation will now be carried out in phases. The budget has been adjusted to £5million for the first phase.

Building work is due to start the third week of November 2009 and continue until August 2010.

Although areas of the Union will be out of use during the works, the services will still remain available.

“We will continue to provide all services but some will be relocated to different areas,” said Pott.

Nigel Hallam, Director of Operations at the Union, said: “There is going to be some disruption for the 40 weeks that the work will be carried out, but at the end we will have a significant improvement.”

“The renovation will bring the building into the modern world,” he added.