University “must do better” on sustainability

Amy Mack & Brian Webster, Co- Chairs of Sheffield Young Greens

The University’s sustainability policy has been slammed by the Sheffield Green Party, after it ranked just 119th out of 145 universities in the latest People & Planet Green League.

The University polled poorly in carbon management, supplying sustainable food and by not providing a publicly available ethical investment policy.

Consumption from rain water sources and generating renewable energy was found to be nonexistent at the University in the recently published People & Planet survey – an independent league table of UK universities ranked by environmental and ethical performance.

Since 2005 the University’s carbon emissions have increased by 27.52 per cent, compared to Sheffield Hallam’s 8.63 per cent.

In a statement Amy Mack and Brian Webster, Co- Chairs of Sheffield Young Greens, said:“This performance and ranking is unacceptable – [the University of Sheffield] scraped in just ahead of Glasgow at the bottom of the 20 big Russell Group universities.

“The Young Greens group is now looking to work with People & Planet to force the university to urgently address its responsibilities to students and the local community. As a centre of scientific and engineering excellence, the University of Sheffield can and must do better.”

The University received a total score of just 26.5 out of a possible 70, with one of its few high marks being for a strong recycling performance.

The rank of 119 is down five places from 2011.

One Response to “University “must do better” on sustainability”