University House in £20 million revamp

An artists impressions of University House; work will begin in the summer

University House will undergo a £20 million refurbishment this summer to restore the building to its original architectural glory.

The building, which was unveiled almost 50 years ago, will be transformed in an attempt to revolutionise student services at the University.

The expected cost for the redevelopment is £20 million with the newly refurbished building providing facilities such as an amphitheatre styled space for special events and study spaces open for longer hours.

The makeover was designed by Sheffield based HLM architects and also includes six new meeting rooms as well as improvements to the City View Cafe and Fusion and Foundry.

Designers wanted to relive the architecture used in the original University House, which at the time was revolutionary.

Robert Smith, a fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects, spent 12 years at the University from the late 1950s designing 11 buildings – including the Arts Tower and University House.

Mr Smith said: “University House was designed to be a bit like the Arts Tower – it was a ground breaking design. We were pioneers in glass curtain walling and this was one of the very first.

“It was a very fresh building design and very simple. It offered some of the best views of Sheffield, and still does now.”

The essential work will also radically reduce the building’s annual energy consumption and its carbon footprint.