University singing competition to raise money for charity

A University staff member is organising an ‘X-Factor’ style singing competition to raise money for charity next week.

Gaynor Hague, a personal assistant in the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University, has set up the event to benefit Sheffield’s Weston Park Cancer Charity in memory of her mother – a cancer victim treated by the Weston Park Hospital.  

The competition, named ‘Factor-X’, is part of a wider campaign to raise £4000 to support the cause.

Gaynor hopes the event will raise money for the charity that supports Sheffield’s Weston Park Hospital and also underline the importance of the cause.

She said: “The hospital is one of only three dedicated cancer hospitals in the UK, which means that it services a very wide area and so is an extremely busy and important hospital.

“Factor-X will follow the format of the popular UK television series. Live auditions will take place on December 13 at Bramall Lane, the home of Sheffield United Football Club, where the acts will have the chance to reach the ‘Boot Camp’ later that day.”

The judges will then select 12 acts to go through to the final on December 15 with the chance to win a trophy and cash prize.

Anyone can enter the competition and those not taking part can form part of the live audience at the final night where there will be further live entertainment and raffles. 

Gaynor added: “I thought it would be a fun way for people to have the chance to win a singing competition, have a little bit of the X-Factor experience, as well as doing something for a good cause.”