Sheffield is explored through the language of video, film and sound works; by international and...

Sheffield is explored through the language of video, film and sound works; by international and national artists in this month-long exhibition.

It takes us first to the Park Hill estate which was scheduled for demolition until saved by English Heritage and Urban Splash. Away from the centre and above the train station, Michel Auder’s- impossible to announce in one breath work- Untitled (I Was Looking Back To See If You Were Looking Back To See Me Looking Back At You) is based.

Aside from the title the show is funny, surprising and relayed truthfully just how confident we think we are that no one will see us if we stand in our windows completely naked.

The ramble on the estate leads to Mark Fell at the Link Pub, the second most dangerous pub in Britain. Within, he has re-launched 1992 for the 21st Century. A pirate radio recording from that year is playing along with blinding lights that include, as well as exclude you from the surroundings.

They are, of course telling stories and are as, curator Martin Clark calls it, shaping a reverie to Sheffield.

Steven Claydon’s Infra-Idol Assembly. Photo: Jules Lister

Charles Atlas’s Painting by Numbers at Sheffield Institute of Arts Gallery has a swirl of numbers like particles that change and manipulate themselves with charm in front of your eyes. This is linked to his earlier works Channels/Inserts and Blue Studio: Five Segments which makes for a calming and bright space.
Compared to that, Moore Street Electricity Substation is imposing and brutal. It could also be missed completely. Unless inside, where Steven Claydon’s Infra-Idol Assembly awaits you at the other end. A stopframe animation composed of atoms is both primal and happy.

Bloc Projects holds Beatrice Gibson’s F FOR FIBONACCI. It is a video showing an 11-year old boy creating a world in Minecraft for billionaire, Mr Money. But what it does do is feature an entertaining conversation between two artists about the work and the world created. That costs nothing to enjoy.

If anything, Art Sheffield is a tour of the city, back and forth and around Victorian architecture and soon to be demolished buildings. Art Sheffield unearths the computer eloquence of am industrial city with energy and confidence. It acknowledges the changes that are inevitable but retains the courtesy to Sheffield not to overshadow the city, but to support it.

Art Sheffield runs between 16 April-8 May 2016.