A group of University of Sheffield students has started a campaign in support of the 43 students who disappeared in Mexico on September 26
">
Mexican2

Campaigners on the concourse

A group of University of Sheffield students has started a campaign in support of the 43 students who disappeared in Mexico on September 26.

The students from Ayotzinapa went missing after the municipal police raided their buses. There were six deaths and over 20 wounded in the attack.

Around 30 students gathered on the Students’ Union concourse to show solidarity with “those who are taking action against the [Mexican] State and its injustices” on Wednesday November 5, the global action day for Ayotzinapa.

Martha Avalos, a Mexican student who is doing a PhD in Human Geography in Sheffield, said: “We started the ‘Sheffield-Mexico solidarity campaign’ to support Mexican struggles and show support.

“We are hoping to have a lecture with the department of Hispanic Studies to raise awareness soon.”

This year’s traditional altar for ‘the Day of the Dead’ in the Students’ Union was dedicated to both Frida Khalo and the students from Ayotzinapa.

Sheffield Students’ Union Officers wrote on their Facebook page: “We repudiate these events and demand to the Mexican government that the perpetrators are brought to justice alive.”

The solidarity campaign and Sheffield Marxist Society have sent a petition, asking for the Students’ Union council’s support, which has had over 50 signatures.