Games Editor Ash Emritte talks about a movie that is both is subtly emotive and outrageously fun.
">

Well, slap me silly with a giant’s willy, the team behind The Lego Movie have once again turned what should on paper have been the unintelligible scribbles of a five year old, or the mad dance of a spider with diarrhea, into a film that is incredibly conscious of what it has to deliver: childlike enthusiasm, energy, and pure, unadulterated fun.

Batman’s (Will Arnett) narration over the opening logos sets the tone of the film, a meta interpretation and celebration of the entirety of Batman, even the time he was George Clooney and had nipples . Jam-packed with references to the past, it would certainly be no hard feat to feel lost, but these are cleverly integrated into the film with dual purposes.

They don’t feel like references for references sake, but come as a menagerie of joy that entice from both young and old innocent laughter that is so lacking as we move deeper into Trump’s presidency, Brexit, the new shape of Toblerones and Chris Chibnall’s Doctor Who.

This film is an assault on the many diverse facial, jaw, and throat muscles involved in laughter, including, but not limited to the levator labii superioris. Hark back to the scene in Predator when Blaine levels the entire jungle with his minigun for an analogy on how many zingers this film hurtles in your general direction per minute.

So much in fact, it is quite hard to catch them all, especially with the background being littered with a second layering of humour. The first two acts are so incredibly joke heavy, that when act three decides to slow down the rate of comedy in favour of some grade A feels, one can’t help but draw comparison to The Lego Movie, which pulled the breaks in its final 20 minutes.

The subtlety of these major feels and totes emosh vibes the film sends out during its last act is non-existent, it’s obvious and in your face. But c’mon, this is a Lego movie. It should be going all out, shouting at you what to feel, when to laugh, zipping around like an inebriated bee desperately trying to get to the airport on time to profess its love to the one and only bee it could ever love. It should, and thankfully does.

This movie is a delightful reminder to run amok with playfulness, and to let go of cynicism and embrace your inner child.

Ash Emritte