Lifestyle give you our top 3 favourites in food, fashion and travel for this fortnight’s...
">

Lifestyle give you our top 3 favourites in food, fashion and travel for this fortnight’s Freshers’ special edition.

Sour Cherry at Forum

Sour Cherry at Forum

Sour Cherry

For all you fashionistas out there, new kid on the block Sour Cherry is the latest addition to Sheffield’s vast number of vintage shops and boutiques. It’s the perfect place to find quirky jewellery to satiate those fashion taste buds. The items draw inspiration from pop culture, vintage-inspired designs and geometric styles. Their shop is tucked away at Forum on Devonshire Street along with a few other shops. Despite being new to Forum, this home- grown fashion brand is no stranger to the Sheffield fashion scene. With a workshop in the Nichols Building in Shalesmoor, Sour Cherry have been around for a while now, and have nearly 12,000 likes on Facebook. It started off with Kayleigh and Jess Walker,   who started making jewellery as a hobby before going full time. If you love those rare statement jewellery pieces for resonable prices, this is the place for you.

Spice racks

Spice racks

Spice racks

Cooking for yourself will never be arduous if you invest in a good spice rack as soon as you get to university. Spend between £10-20 on a range of spices and herbs and you will find a little goes a really long way. Towards the end of term, the bank account will start to run dry and nights out will take a priority over food. No matter how short on food you are, a good spice rack will make any meal taste good. Salt and pepper are a given, but try paprika or Cajun spice to add a quick dash of flavour. You will find yourself eating a lot of pasta, so garlic granules, oregano and mixed herbs will come in handy. If Moroccan or Indian food strikes your fancy, ground cumin, ground cinnamon, chilli powder, garam masala and ground coriander are all good additions. Provided you store them in a cool, dry place, spices and herbs keep for ages, so you don’t have to worry about constantly replenishing your stock.

Fancie cocktails on Ecclessall Road

Fancie cocktails on Ecclessall Road

Ecclesall Road

We are insanely jealous if you are lucky enough to live on Ecclesall Road already, but if you’re in Endcliffe or Ranmoor, then Ecclesall Road is a 20 minute walk away. If you love food, drink and fashion, then it’s definitely worth a visit. You can get to Ecclesall Road through the Botanical Gardens, which makes for an amazingly scenic route. The road is full of charity shops with amazing fashion finds and other little boutiques selling clothes as well as decorative pieces. It’s also home to restaurants like Yankees, an American diner style eatery and Fancie, who do a delightful range of cupcakes and cocktails. There is also a Tesco Metro which is great for a weekly food shop or to get some supplies from the bank of mum and dad, if your parents are visiting you for the weekend.