University of Sheffield PhD student Konstantinos Lygdas claimed the silver medal at the BUCS super-heavyweight...
">

University of Sheffield PhD student Konstantinos Lygdas claimed the silver medal at the BUCS super-heavyweight boxing event at Ponds Forge in his first bout for 13 years.

Lygdas’ route to the final of the 91kg+ category was straightforward in the end, as semi-final opponent Jordie Koyalodi was disqualified for failing to meet the weight standard.

As a result, his first fight since 2003 was the final, as Paul Orji of the University of Brighton stood between Lygdas and a remarkable gold medal.

The 30-year old, who is studying neurobiology at the University of Sheffield, had only recently taken up the sport once more after joining Sheffield City Boxing Club in October to keep his fitness up.

It was there that he was persuaded by trainer Brendan Warburton to enter into the BUCS Championships and try his hand at some more competitive boxing.

Speaking on the day, Mr Warburton told Forge Sport:

“We do both universities in Sheffield so we get a lot of students down at our gym, as soon as he walked through the door, I knew he had boxed somewhere before. I think he came in for a bit of fitness and to keep his hand in at boxing and when he heard that there were university championships I asked him if he fancied it and he fancied a crack at winning gold for the university.”

The fight itself did not go to plan for Lygdas, the Greek fighter losing out by unanimous decision after three hard-fought rounds.

Orji came out of the traps quickly with a dominant display of punches and jabs and from there it was an uphill struggle for Lygdas as he tried to claw back the points he missed out on in the opening minutes.

After the fight, Lygdas said:

“In the first round I was just trying to trace my opponent’s skills. I think it was really close though. Although the decision was unanimous, I believe it was still close.”

Although still a student at the university he ruled himself out of this year’s Varsity clash with Sheffield Hallam University.

“There are not that many super-heavyweights!”, a smiling Lygdas said as he looked at the silver medal draped around his neck.